This is a highly responsible position involving the maintenance of the City’s sewer, stormwater and roadway infrastructure. The individual in this position provides first line field supervision to the crews and participates in the manual labor work as the workload demands. This position reports to the Public Works Supervisor.
The following personnel report directly to the WPC Crew Chief:
1. Pump Mechanic
2. Vactor Truck Operator and assistant
3. Camera Truck Operator and assistant
4. Heavy Equipment Operator
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Directs employees engaged in a wide variety of tasks related to the function of the division.
- Performs maintenance on and operates the city storm and wastewater collection systems.
- Performs maintenance on curbs, gutters, sidewalks and roadways.
- Directs, trains and instructs crew members on work procedures and safety precautions.
- Performs a variety of advanced manual labor including skilled maintenance work.
- Performs employee evaluations, tracks inspection data, and completes other paperwork as needed.
- Plans work assignments of staff and manages work orders and service requests.
- Responds to after-hours calls.
- Assists with compiling operating and capital budget needs for the Department.
- Ensures the safety, discipline and appraisal of all unskilled, semi-skilled and skilled personnel.
- Prepares and directs projects concerning the City’s infrastructure and coordinates with contractors as needed.
- Works with the Public Works Supervisor to evaluate and plan ongoing or upcoming projects and maintenance procedures.
- Maintains the safety and cleanliness of vehicles as per City, state and/or federal regulations.
- Maintains the cleanliness of the Public Works yard and debris bins.
- Assists in loading and unloading of refuse, trash, yard waste and other materials which are transported by truck.
- Functions as a crew leader participating in the work of crews engaged in various maintenance and construction activities.
These essential job functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job-related duties as required.
- Must be eighteen years of age or older;
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent (GED);
- Have three (3) years of experience in the field relating to the operation, maintenance and repair of pumps, motors and electrical panels in a wastewater and/or stormwater collection system; and
- Have one (1) year of experience in a responsible supervisory capacity; or
- An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of modern techniques, methods, procedures and practices of operating and maintaining sanitary and storm sewer infrastructure.
- Ability to supervise construction projects and maintenance programs.
- Ability to instruct and evaluate work assignments of personnel.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with subordinates, contractors and the general public.
- Ability to develop, prepare and present long range plans and programs relating to the area of responsibility.
- Ability to act as interim Public Works Supervisor in his/her absence.
- Ability to respond to afterhours emergency call-ins within a reasonable amount of time.
- Ability to make minor electrical and mechanical repairs to various types of motors, pumps and other related equipment under instruction and guidance of qualified supervisor.
- Ability to comply with work schedules and maintain a satisfactory attendance record.
- Able to perform all tasks of a Service Worker II and III.
- Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing.
- Ability to develop and maintain good people skills.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS OR REGISTRATIONS
- Valid Florida Commercial Driver License (CDL); at least a Class B.
- Class C Wastewater License
- Stormwater Certification
- Tanker endorsement or the ability to obtain within 6 months of hire
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL SKILLS
- Acceptable eyesight (with or without corrections).
- Acceptable hearing (with or without aid).
- Ability to communicate both orally and in writing.
- Ability to access, input and retrieve information from a computer.
- Ability to lift more than 60 pounds on a frequent basis.
- Ability to walk, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, see and smell.
Work is performed primarily outdoors with some work indoors and will be exposed to moderate noise levels and subject to outside environmental conditions.
Reasonable accommodation will be made for otherwise qualified individuals with a disability.
Key skill Required
- Maintenance Technician